The Endless River has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 Division Bell sessions, when David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason played freely together at Britannia Row and Astoria studios. This was the first time they had done so since the 'Wish You Were Here' sessions in the seventies. Those sessions resulted in The Division Bell, the band's last studio album.
In 2013 David Gilmour and Nick Mason revisited the music from those sessions and decided that the tracks should be made available as part of the Pink Floyd repertoire. It would be the last time the three of them would be heard together. The band have spent the last year recording and upgrading the music,using the advantages of modern studio technology to create The Endless River.
The Endless River is a tribute to Rick Wright, whose keyboards are at the heart of the Pink Floyd sound. It is a mainly instrumental album with one song, 'Louder Than Words', (with new lyrics by Polly Samson), arranged across four sides and produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth and Andy Jackson.
David Gilmour said:
'''The Endless River' has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 Division Bell sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire.''
Nick Mason said:
'''The Endless River' is a tribute to Rick. I think this record is a good way of recognizing a lot of what he does and how his playing was at the heart of the Pink Floyd sound. Listening back to the sessions, it really brought home to me what a special player he was.''
* The 15th studio album by the famed British band
* 180 Gram Vinyl Mastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab, Ojai, California.
* Packaging: Gatefold sleeve, full colour inner bags, download card
* Full size, 11''x11'' 16-page photo/credit booklet including previously unseen photographs from 1993 sessions
* Creative Director: Aubrey Powell, Hipgnosis / Sleeve design by Stylorouge / Front cover concept by Ahmed Emad Eldin
* Album produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth, Andy Jackson