Hands-on strategies for teaching your disorganized child how to organize for school success!
The overstuffed backpack, the missing homework, the unused planner, the test he didn't know about. Sound familiar? When the disorganized child meets the departmentalized structure of middle school, everything can fall apart. Even the academically successful child will start to falter if she misses deadlines, loses textbooks, or can't get to class on time.
This practical book is full of hands-on strategies for helping parents identify and teach organizational skills. Educational consultant Donna Goldberg has developed these methods by working with hundreds of students and in this book she provides:
- Assessments to gather information about your child's learning style, study habits, and school requirements
- Guidelines for taming that overstuffed binder and keeping it under control
- PACK -- a four-step plan for purging and reassembling a backpack or locker
- Instructions for organizing an at-home work space for the child who studies at a desk or the child who studies all over the house
- Ways to help your child graduate from telling time to managing time
- Special tips for kids with learning disabilities and kids who have two homes...and more
The Organized Student is a must for any parent who has heard the words, ""I can't find my homework!""
""Donna Goldberg writes with the head of a professional and the heart of a mom. Her tips, tricks, and techniques are extraordinarily sensitive to the time constraints of today's families. Don't keep this book on your bookshelf. Keep it on your nightstand because you'll refer to it again and again.""
-- Rick Lavoie, author of It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend