Nick Bruel is the author and illustrator of, among other books, Bad Kitty, Poor Puppy, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty vs. Uncle Murray, and Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty. Nick lives with his wife and daughter in Tarrytown, New York.
It's time to elect a new president of the Neighborhood Cat Coalition! Who will win the election? The candidate chosen by the kitties on the right side of the street or the candidate chosen by the kitties on the left side of the street? When election time rolls around, one candidate (guess who?) will discover that she never bothered to register to vote and the entire election will be decided by a surprise, last minute absentee ballot sent by Old Kitty.
Reading Group Guide:
Bad Kitty For President: Word Scramble!
Bad Kitty is at it again! Help her and Poor Puppy un-scramble the words listed below before the
ballots close for good!
4. YAPRT NLIE
Bad Kitty for President: Writing Exercise!
Every candidate needs a good writing team! Become a part of Bad Kitty's campaign by helping her write a speech to read at the next Neighborhood Cat Coalition.
In the box below, outline your ideas, and then, on a separate sheet, use these points to write your final speech. And remember, no empty promises, Kitty!
Bad Kitty for President: Where is Bad Kitty Campaigning?
Help! We've got to find Kitty's campaign trail! Use the clues below to locate the states Kitty has visited, and where she will be going to next.
1. This Midwestern state is known for its cheese and cooooooold winters. Go Packers Go!
2. This state is known for its aloha spirit and delicious pineapples! Aloha!
3. This state is known for its loyal sports fans and historic Freedom Trail. It's the Bay State!
4. This "sunny" state is known for its yummy oranges, fun theme parks, and boggy Everglades.
5. This state shares a border with Canada and is part of the Great Plains region. It is located just north of another state with a similar name!
6. This Northeast state is home to the busiest, most populated city in the US--the state and the city have the same name!
7. This Pacific state is known for the historic Gold Rush. It is also home to Tinsel Town and some of
the best surfing!
8. Commonly known as the Lone Star state, it is home to the Alamo!
9. Located in the west, this state is home to some of the best skiing and hiking trails in our country. It's home to the Rocky Mountains!
10. This Northwest state is the only state to be named after a president.
Bad Kitty for President: Host Your Own Mock Election!
Curious how the Neighborhood Cat Coalition keeps their checks and balances?
Host your own mock election at school or home today. Here's all the stuff you'll need for a smooth-sailing election. Just don't let Bad Kitty into the ballot box!
Have a school or community official encourage students to participate in the election by signing up as candidates for specific positions.
Whether you are running for class president or student council member, it is always a great idea to hold an assembly where all of the candidates talk about their platform and ideas. They should discuss issues that might have an effect on the student experience.
Have everyone who is interested in the election cast their vote individually and privately. Create a box with a small slit for the ballots. The ballots could look like this:
I give my vote to:
My Write In Candidate is:
Once the voting has closed, assign a group of students to count all of the votes. Use a chalkboard, a white board, or even a computer chart to make sure every vote is counted, and every voice is heard. Once all of the votes have been counted, you can announce the winner!