Grow a secure attachment with your children by listening to your heart
Popularized by bestselling pediatrician Dr. William Sears, ""attachment parenting"" encourages mothers and fathers to fully accept their babies' dependency needs. According to the growing numbers of attachment parenting advocates, consistent parental responsiveness to these needs leads to happy and emotionally well-balanced children.
This practical, comprehensive, and first-ever guide to today's most talked-about nurturing style, Attachment Parenting shows how some conventional childrearing advice can be detrimental, and urges you to trust your instincts on such important matters as:
- Responding attentively to your baby's cries
- Minimizing parent-child separation
- Avoiding ""sleep training"" for infants
- Breastfeeding according to your baby's cues instead of a schedule
- ""Wearing"" your baby in a cloth carrier rather than relying on ""baby gadgets"" such as plastic carriers and carriages.
In addition to expert advice from pediatricians, lactation consultants, and anthropologists -- as well as words of wisdom from hundreds of real parents -- Attachment Parenting includes an exhaustive list of print, Internet, and support-group resources. It's an indispensable, hands-on reference that allows you to confidently and joyfully develop a secure and loving bond with your young children.