Do you find that you don't handle stress well and are frequently irritable?
Did you know the much-publicized low-fat/high-carbohydrate diet of recent years may actually be making you depressed and overweight?
And what are the hidden dangers of sleep loss and irregular schedules?
In Beyond Prozac, Dr. Michael Norden, a psychiatrist and pioneer in developing new applications of Prozac, explains how the toll of modern-day life has undermined our health and led to a national epidemic of depression, anxiety and weight problems. But there is hope. Based on seven years of groundbreaking research and clinical work, Beyond Prozac offers solutions to these chronic health problems that go beyond simply prescribing Prozac from incredibly effective alternative treatments such as light therapy, regulation of sleeping habits, and specialized diets to the next generation of safer and more effective depression medications. A decisive voice in the debate about depression, Beyond Prozac is a provocative and enduring classic in the modern literature about mental health.
Now revised and expanded to include the latest new information and research, Beyond Prozac gives you the inside scoop on:
- Powerful new antidepressants: Serzone, Wellbutrin and Remeron
- The surprising relationship between weather, brain chemistry and behavior
- New studies hinting that low serotonin is the norm, not the exception, and what this means for those seeking treatment
- What melatonin really can and can't do
- Depression, health and "The Zone" diet
- The latest all-natural treatments for depression: DHEA and St. John's wort
- Updates on Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox and more!