Ever sustained a knee injury? Want to prevent one? Whether you're young and actively involved in sports, an enthusiastic weekend warrior, or someone who's simply getting older and whose body is changing, The Knee Crisis Handbook will show you how to take care of your knees. You'll learn what to do if you sustain an injury, how to prevent a repeat injury, and how to help yourself avoid injury in the first place.
Inside you'll find:
* Sport-specific knee injury prevention tips
* Advice on caring for your knees when you're young, older, or even pregnant
* What to look for when choosing a physician and physical therapist
* Treatment options, including acupuncture and other complementary medicine therapies
* Medications: what you should and shouldn't take
* What you can expect from surgery and recovery
* How to avoid surgery
* Complete exercise programs
With physical therapy strategies by Marty Jaramillo, P.T., A.T.C., C.S.C.S., and complementary medicine strategies by Robert Abramson, M.D.
""Dr. Halpern has authored the state-of-the-art text for understanding everything about the knee. It might just save you a visit to the emergency room.""--E. Lee Rice, D.O., San Diego Sports Medicine
""This book is all about plain talk and advice. This is what the physician should be telling you but doesn't have either the time or the inclination to do so. This is not a book of conjecture, just plain, practical tips based upon scientific evidence.""--Douglas B. McKeag, M.D., M.S., AUL professor of preventive health medicine, chair of the department of family medicine, and director of the Center for Sports Medicine at Indiana University